Lead DevOps Engineer with Apogee Engineering, LLC
September 2015 - Present · Remote
- Lead and perform many of the group’s most challenging technical projects.
- Collaborate with over a dozen teams to deliver applications to the USGS science community.
- Responsible for the architecture and implementation of the IT platform for over 50 USGS products.
- Migrated over 50 products from on-premise and on-VM deployments to AWS deployments, using Docker and native AWS services.
- Composed CI/CD pipelines for hundreds of projects, improving consistency through automation, empowering product teams, and reducing friction for releasing software.
- Author and maintain hundreds of pages of robust documentation for “all things DevOps” and project-specific documentation, utilizing Markdown and adopting a “docs-as-code” workflow.
- Accelerate and helped plan long-term IT strategy and the details of execution.
- Reduced costs through architecture improvements while reducing the server count by more than 45%.
- Work with hundreds of codebases spanning several languages and product teams.
- Instruct colleagues on a variety of subjects, including Docker, AWS, and Terraform.
- Implemented and maintained configuraton management (Puppet, Ansible) across hundreds of servers.
- Developed new HTTP architecture, utilizing CloudFront, Nginx, and S3.
- Contracted with Comso, Inc. April 2015 - September 2015.
Primary technology used: Linux, GitLab, Docker, AWS, Terraform, Ansible, Puppet, Python, Packer, VMware vSphere, Jira, Artifactory, Bamboo, BitBucket, Tomcat, Ruby, Nginx, Traefik, Apache.